For many people, infertility causes a lot of anger. I've heard that from fellow infertiles, and we have certainly seen that in the waiting room and IVF classes at our clinics. The anger at the unfairness of it all, at the doctors for not fixing it quickly, at themselves for failing is palpable. But for me, anger is rare. Instead, my uncomfortable feeling is jealousy. It's harder and harder to feel joy for friends and family as they get pregnant and have healthy babies easily. When is it going to be my turn?
UPDATED to add: If you are one of my loved ones expecting a little one of your own, please don't be afraid to share your joy with me. I am thrilled for you; it's just more work than I'd like it to be.
Thoughts on Enshittification
17 hours ago

3 comments:
I don't have to tell you that it's not fair. Just wanted to show solidarity with you that although it's a different issue, I can relate to the jealousy. Why do some people end up having healthy kids effortlessly and others (like us) don't? SUCKS. But we get other lessons. Like humility. And patience.
Elizabeth, I know with my 2 kids it comes across obnoxious to say I understand, but on a very small-level, I do. We had a particularly horrible 2nd trimester (trisomy 18) miscarriage (they are all horrible, of course, but my earlier first-trimester miscarriage, for a variety of medical/personal reasons wasn't nearly as bad). For the next many months, I looked with envy (and sadness, and anger - I ran the gamut of ugly emotions!) at all pregnant women, especially those who were decidedly older than me. Anyhoo, HUG. :-) Love, Niamh
Oh, Niamh. This is why I am not angry. We all get dealt shitty hands in life. As hard as the last two years have been, I can't imagine the pain of a second trimester or late-term loss.
Post a Comment