Saturday, May 29, 2010

Frustration

All I want to do is focus on getting strong and healthy for cycle #2. But I have been spending hours dealing with the insurance and bills from the first cycle. Despite the fact that we properly obtained pre-approval, the insurance company has denied all but about $600 of the $10,000 charges!!! They paid $600 to my doctor (of the $2500) he billed, with no explanation for the denial of the rest, then proceeded to deny all of the charges from the hospital and the anesthesiologist. At different times I've received different explanations: 1) once the doctor was paid, no one else could be paid for the same services (ridiculous, don't doctors and hospitals bill separately all the time???); and 2) the name of the facility of the preauthorization was the clinic not the hospital (even though the clinic is just a subsidiary of the hospital). Happily, the hospital appears to have absorbed its costs and is taking responsibility for the mix-up. But not so much the doctor's office, and I still haven't heard from the anesthesiologist.

I have a call in to the business office at the doctor's office to see what explanation they received for the denial, and I have an email in to the insurance company about filing an appeal.

And in the back of my mind I keep worrying about how to make sure this doesn't happen next time.

3 comments:

lastchanceivf said...

Ugh, the money part of IF is so frustrating. We never had any insurance coverage so we just wrote enormous checks all the time (!) but just organizing all the bills and keeping up with it all was a huge pain. I hope it gets resolved!

Unknown said...

We don't have the money for IVF and our insurance won't pay for ANYTHING!

We are basically screwed.

I'm so sorry for you loss.

Leo True-Frost said...

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH! I feel your pain, you know I do. I HATE the insurance companies. I'd rather be playing a shell game in Times Square, it's at least direct, engaging and entertaining.