Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Choosing a clinic

Assuming our last round of IUI (whenever that happens) doesn't work, we'll need to choose an IVF clinic. We have four options:
*Our current clinic at the University. We really like the staff and find it to be a calming place that offers personalized attention. But it's a relatively new program.
*The other clinic in the city. It's a much bigger and older program, which means less personalized service but more experience.
*Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine. It's the number one clinic in the country, according to Parents Magazine. I have a friend who had great success there. It's the place that all the IF bloggers go when all else fails. But it's out of network, which means meeting my deductible and huge co-pays.
*Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas. It used to be the number seven clinic, though the personnel has changed. And it's out of network. So this one seems easy to eliminate.

In patients under 35, all four clinics have roughly equal success rates: 57-65 percent. But in the 35-37 age range, the numbers vary wildly: our clinic had a 38 percent success rate in 2007; the other clinic in the city 51 percent; and CCRM 58 percent.

Technically, we have time for two IVF cycles before I move from the under 35 group to the 35-37 group. But my FSH levels suggest my eggs are old, so I wonder if I should just assume I'm going to behave like the 35-37 age group, which probably means switching clinics.

No comments: