Because if I could, I could make big money as a lactation consultant. But I have no idea what happened. I was supposed to spend last Friday and Saturday in all-day training sessions. I was apprehensive about being gone that long, but I was determined to go. Zack had other plans. As I was getting ready to leave Friday morning, he was just inconsolable. Nothing Brent was doing seemed to help. With both boys at the end of their ropes (at 9 a.m.!), I decided to stay home. And Z and I spent most of the next 48 hours cuddling. He took the breast a couple of times, but mostly kept fighting it. Then at some point on Monday, he just got it! By Tuesday, he was nursing at every feed with me and even resisting the bottle (fortunately, he still takes a bottle from Daddy and day care).
We still have a few kinks to work out. His technique isn't great. Toward the end, he tends to really chomp down. Ouch! And he's incredibly inefficient. He snacks, then dozes, then snacks, then dozes.... It would be okay if I had nothing to do, but duty calls! And if last night is any indication, he's not getting enough to sleep through the night. So I am thinking we will continue to pump/bottle-feed at bedtime. That means taking the pump with us on our summer vacations. But I'll probably be happier that way anyway, since it will give me more freedom (Brent and I could go out to dinner, if Georgie and Papa Bill are willing to babysit!). I just won't have to pump on the airplanes!
I've ordered new supplies -- a My Brest Friend travel pillow and a nursing cover (so the French aren't too horrified). It's a whole new adventure here!
Thoughts on Enshittification
16 hours ago

2 comments:
Great news! Yay!
Wow! Nice work Mama.
Post a Comment